As we launch into the 6 weeks school summer holidays , this seemed to be the right time to share this information of advice and support to local parents.
Parenting isn’t always easy. Although it’s often amazing and rewarding to watch your children grow up, and to help them learn to be independent, it can also be really hard work. Here are some tips for looking after your child while also looking after yourself from youngminds.org.uk
If you think your child is unhappy or you are worried about their behaviour, it’s easy to be hard on yourself and think you aren’t doing a good job. But you aren’t alone.
Below are tips for any parent who is worried about their child, or their own parenting skills.
- Make sure they know you love them and are proud of them. Even when things are busy or stressful, and it feels like you are in survival mode, a word or a hug can reassure them a huge amount. Praise them for what they do well, and encourage them to try new things.
- Be honest about your feelings – you don’t have to be perfect. We all get things wrong and shout or say unkind things from time to time. If this happens, say sorry to your child afterwards and explain why it happened, They will learn from you that it’s okay to make mistakes and that it doesn’t make you a bad person.
- Be clear about what is and isn’t acceptable – and tell them why. Children need to know what is okay and what isn’t, and what will happen if they cross the line. Follow through on what you say as otherwise they may get confused or stop respecting the boundaries.
- Own your own role – you are the parent, so don’t be afraid to take tough decisions. If your child sees you are scared of their reaction and always give in to them, it can make them feel very powerful, which can be frightening. Children need to know that you are there to keep them safe.
There is lots more advice and guidance on the young minds website to help parents , Click here
Summer holidays advice and information
- Looking for things to do this summer, we have gathered together some ideas and suggestions here
- Read about the summer holiday activates being run at the Army Flying museum , Click here
- News on Four Fun Fridays in Andover, Click here
- Read about the step into Summer , free events happening throughout the holidays at The riverside park, Andover, Click here
If you feel that you are struggling and need that extra support please do get in touch with us so that we can help, Click here