Consultation on proposed savings to Hampshire’s Public Health budget


In June, the County Council undertook a public consultation regarding proposed savings to the Public Health budget in Hampshire. The recommendations relating to this are set out in a report now available on Hampshire County Council’s website.

Outcome of the Transformation to 2021 Public Consultation

Following detailed analysis of the findings from the consultation, and further clarification from Public Health England on the use of the Public Health ringfenced grant, the service has revised its recommendations and these are set out below:

Substance misuse services

To save £60,000 by continuing to provide an open access substance misuse service in Winchester from a more cost effective venue.

Stop smoking services

To save £168,000 by stopping ‘unsupported prescribing’ – reducing the number of prescriptions written by GPs for stop smoking medication and nicotine replacement therapy that are not accompanied by a support referral to Smokefree Hampshire. Evidence shows that the combination of both, leads to better long-term outcomes.

For sexual health services

To save £8,000 by removing a duplicated HIV and syphilis self-sampling service.

For Public Health Nursing

The proposals which were included in the public consultation are not being taken forward.


The recommendations are due to be scrutinised by the County Council’s Health and Adult Social Care Select Committee at 10am on Tuesday, 19 October.

The Executive Lead Member for Adult Services and Public Health will make her final decision on the recommendations at 2pm on Tuesday, 16 November 2021 following careful examination of the consultation results.

Both of the above meetings are meetings in public, so you are welcome to attend.

Further information is available via the links below:

Health and Adult Social Care Select Committee meeting

Executive Lead Member’s Decision Day meeting

Members of the public who are residents of Hampshire are also able to speak at a meeting, if advance notice is given. This is called making a deputation. Full details of how to make a deputation as well as the rules around doing so, can be found on the County Council’s website.

Speaking at a County Council meeting | About the Council | Hampshire County Council (

Skip to content